Friday, April 15, 2011

Nookie Froyo and CM7

After some forum-browsing and a bit of downloading, I managed to have the NookieFroyo image installed on a microSD card and running on the Nook Color. Not too impressed - it's just the standard AOSP (Android Open Source Project) Froyo with not much apps included. No GApps, no Android Market. I believe there's a browser included, but it's not as fast as the one on my SGS.

Installed the CyanogenMod7 (Android 2.3.3) and GApps package instead, and things are starting to look better. The whole thing feels faster, snappier, and best of all, Android Market. Flash runs fine. YouTube works. 7" kiddie video goodness for the baby.

Next step is to maybe flash the NC with CM7, instead of simply running it off the microSD. However, I kinda like the simple, clean interface of the NC. And I still wanna see what the April B&N update will bring to the table. I can simply install the Nook app to my microSD-based CM7 (or even the SGS), but I just found out that Read to Me Books only works with the real Nook Color. Oh well, maybe I can wait till the Nook app is upgraded to support Read to Me books.

No comments:

Post a Comment