Sunday, May 19, 2019

Windows 10 Blank Screen Showing Only Mouse Pointer

That's the best I can describe the issue.

I boot up my PC/laptop. It shows the blue Windows 10 logo with the spinning dotted circle below indicating that it's booting up. The logo goes away and normally the Windows desktop with the start screen and taskbar should show up. But this time, all I get is a blank screen. I jiggle the mouse a bit, and my mouse pointer shows up. So I know Windows is running, and it's not a screen issue.

What I did notice is that when I move the mouse, I can see that the pointer actually goes off-screen. This tells me that issue has something to do with the multi-display feature on Windows. Very possible that after a Windows update, the default screen was not set to my current display. So here's how to fix it.

Bring up the Project menu by pressing Windows key + P shortcut. You might not see it, as there's a chance it'll show up on the "main" display. Either way, just press the up or down arrow key a few times and press Enter.  If nothing happens, that's fine. It only means that you haven't selected the correct option. Keep trying a few times, until the desktop shows up on your display.

In my case, I'm the only user on my laptop and has configured auto-logon, so I don't need to log in to Windows. However, if your account is protected by a password, you'll have to log in first. You do this by pressing the spacebar or the Enter key or clicking the mouse, then typing in your password. This might be a difficult as you can't see the logon screen, but once logged in, you can follow the steps above to get back your desktop.

No comments:

Post a Comment