Sunday, April 19, 2020

Windows 10 LTSC

Tired of Windows Updates popping up evey week and reducing your productivity? Switch from the normal Windows 10 Home or Pro to Enterprise LTSC (Long-Term Servicing Channel)?

What's so good about the LTSC edition? Well, no feature updates, no Windows Store, no Cortana, no Edge. Updated every two to three years with guaranteed critical updates for 10 years. Turns your laptop into a lean, mean Windows machine.

Tried it on my Asus VivoBook E200H notebook PC. Setup didn't even deteck my trackpad, so I have to do the clean install using only the keyboard. After first boot, make sure you run Windows Update, so the required drivers for network, audio, trackpad, display, etc. can be detected and installed, plus some security and cumulative updates.

After all that, trackpad is working again, but no audio. From Device Manager, I can definitely see the Conexant audio driver under "Sound, video, and sound controllers", so no idea why I'm getting a "No Audio Output Device is installed" error. I did notice an Intel SST Audio Device (WDM) under "Other Devices". Must be conflicting with the Conexant driver. Uninstalled the Conexant audio driver. Restarted a couple of times, and audio is back using the Intel SST (Smart Sound Technology) audio driver.

Next issue I noticed is that Windows 10 LTSC is not able to access shared network drives. I entered \\server\share into File Explorer, and got "Windows cannot access \\server". Apparently, this is because:



To fix, I had to set the following registry key to 1:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\AllowInsecureGuestAuth


I understand some people have to go further and enable two system services:

  1. Function Discovery Provider Host
  2. Function Discovery Resource Publication

Which are required for network sharing/browsing.

No comments:

Post a Comment