Sunday, October 3, 2021

Xbox - Alive and Kicking

 

Twenty years after it was introduced, my soft-modded Xbox is still alive and kicking.

Mine has been connected to the spare TV in the second living, and I haven't used it for years. Kids were playing the Switch on the main TV, so I thought I'd take the Xbox for a spin.

Booted up just fine. EvolutionX dashboard came up. Was able to connect to the network via DHCP. Tried out a few games. Switched to XBMC4Xbox. That also worked fine. Connected to my NAS via SMB. Songs like mp3, flac, and ogg - no issues. A bit of a hit and miss with videos. RM and RMVB files played audio, but no video. Same goes for some of my newer MP4 movies. Photo-viewing and slideshow work flawlessly.

Haven't updated XBMC for a while. Checked xmbc4xbox and the latest release is v3.5.3 (released on February 27th, 2016). Mine is just one release behind - v3.5.1. I used to download T3CH's binary builds from somewhere, but no amount of Googling is giving me any good hits this time. If you're interested in xbmc4xbox v3.5.3, go here:

The DVD tray doesn't work anymore though. Well, it has been 20 years. Looks like I'll have to start giving away all my Xbox game DVDs.

No comments:

Post a Comment