Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Canon EOS 550D Is Go!

After all these years of using point-and-shoot cameras, starting with some film Minolta, the Canon Powershot S35, then the Powershot S2 IS, I finally took the plunge and bought myself a DSLR - the Canon EOS 550D a.k.a Kiss X4 in Japan a.k.a. Rebel T2i in North America.

I would've settled for the entry-level 1000D, but it doesn't have a video recording function and using only the DiG!C III, so that's out of the running. Next up is the mid-range 500D, but then the 550D has so much more features to offer with a (relatively) little price difference:
  • higher resolution (with gapless micro lenses!)
  • full HD video recording
  • TTL 63-zone metering
  • higher ISO ranges
Using the same DiG!C 4 image processor as the 500D, I'm hoping all these features translate to better photographs, or else that's extra money down the drain, which I could've used to buy more lenses. Since I'm just starting out with SLRs, I opted to get the single-lens 18-55mm kit, instead of the twin-lens kit with the extra 55-200mm EF-S lens. In these days, every little bit of savings count, I tell you. As the camera will primarily be used to take baby pictures, the 18-55mm lens should be good enough for now.

If you're looking to buy an SLR, here's a tip for you: don't bother with brick-and-mortars like Harvey Norman or JB Hi-Fi or Paxtons or Teds. Yeah, they'll throw in an extra SD card, carrying case, free prints and photography lessons, etc. etc. In the end, the online shops will always still be cheaper. As with all substantial online purchases, make sure your chosen seller is reputable.

First impressions? The 550D is bigger and heavier than I expected. Response times is way faster than the S2 IS. Under the same lighting conditions, I'm using much higher ISOs on the DSLR to get the same results, which is a surprise to me, as I'm used to taking pictures at ISO 50 or 100. There are much more buttons to press and settings to play with. The pictures on the 3" 1MP LCD screen are quite sharp. Recorded videos consume way too much space (even at 640x480 50fps).

I wonder when I'll get the chance to go out there and make full use of my new toy.

No comments:

Post a Comment