Saturday, November 20, 2010

Book 2010.11.20 - The Lost Symbol

The Lost Symbol is a really huge disappointment. Makes me wonder how someone who wrote The Da Vinci Code can write The Lost Symbol. Well, if you've read Angels & Demons and The Deception Point, you'll have some idea. Dan Brown's writing style remains pretty much the same after all these years. After three books, nothing new is left for the latest one.

A good movie is where if you miss 5 minutes of the show, then you've lost most of the plot. A good book is where if you skip 5 pages, then you won't understand what's happening next. With The Lost Symbol, I've been speed-reading and skipping paragraphs and pages, and I still don't enjoy what I'm reading. Reads more like a tourist information on DC landmarks. Story is about a prodigal son who blackmails Masonic dad to reveal the Order's secrets to him, or else he will release a video he took of prominent politicians participating in a Masonic ritual. It's up to Robert Langdon to stop the bad guy from releasing the video. One word: EMP.

So there. Now that you know the story, you won't have to read the book.

2 comments:

  1. im sorry but have to disagree...being a 13 year old girl, I have read some pretty bad books in my life. I found "the lost symbol" one of Dan Brown's best books! Maybe if you actually read those few pages/paragraphs, you would understand that there is much more to the story than what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we're going to base it on age, then I've probably read twice the amount of bad books. :-) I'm not saying The Lost Symbol is bad bad. I mean, there's enough suspense and trivia, but seriously when you're running for your lives, do you think you can still pause and find time to give a lecture on Masonic history?

    ReplyDelete