Friday, August 11, 2017

Lego Island on Windows 10

It's always tricky running old-school 90's PC games with modern operating systems like Windows 10. I got hold of an ISO of Lego Island. Mounted it via Windows Explorer and proceeded to install the game. Wanted to install DirectX 5. What?! Windows 10 offered to install DirectPlay. Installed but the game still won't run.

Lucky for me, someone else ran into the same problem, and figured out a workaround.

  1. Install the game as you normally would.
  2. Do NOT install DirectX when asked by the installer.
  3. Copy the contents of Lego/Scripts folder from the CD-ROM to the corresponding folder on the hard disk.
  4. From the redist/directx folder of the CD-ROM, copy d3drm.dll file to the main folder of the game.
  5. For best results, enable "Run as administrator" and "Compatibility mode (WindowsXP SP3)" for LEGOISLE.EXE and ISLE.EXE.
  6. Also, run CONFIG.EXE and select Ramp Emulation under Advanced settings.
  7. Enable "Draw 3D to Video Memory" and "Flip Video Pages Memory".


Or we can just do it the easy way. Load the CD-ROM (or ISO), then run the alternate installer created by le717 (Caleb Ely), which can be found here.

13 comments:

  1. i GOT it to work! EUREKA! I did the ramp emulation AND the alternate installer. My only complaint is that the sky and certain other elements are a bright magenta color...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mine kinda works i have a lot of lags idk why

      Delete
  2. *WITH THE INSTALLER* It seems to install fine, when i open it i can navigate the menu and hear the sounds and everything. One MAJOR problem though. THERE'S NO VISUAL WHATSOEVER...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same thing happens with the long method for me.

      Delete
  3. it doesnt work when i press run it crashes

    ReplyDelete
  4. It runs for me but then doesn't allow me to exit. I had to restart my computer to get out of it. Tried window key + tab and then closing but it won't close.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd just want to Bill Gates to design the game for Windows 10

    ReplyDelete
  6. stuck on pt4
    my pc says not enough space on the folder

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine is running great except that the loading screens aren't working properly. I can't do the race because the loading screen gets stuck and I can't see the track

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. Had to use the alternate installer AND do steps 3 and 4. 5 didn't make any difference and 6 errored out almost all the textures. Menus work great, but track visuals are frozen for me as well. So close!

      Delete