Friday, January 11, 2008

Book 2008.01.11 - Fat, Forty and Fired

A timely, insightful, and inspiring story of a man who was downsized (his company and not his waistline), and spent a year taking stock and living the life he really wanted. Among the things he did:
  • giving up alcohol
  • losing 20 kilos
  • do some hands-on parenting: taking the kids to school, packing their lunches, helping out in the school canteen, going away on Lads and Dads trips
  • week-long vacation in Tasmania with his mate
  • preparing for the Bondi-to-Bronte ocean race
  • picking up surfing and long-distance running again
  • learning to paint
  • vacation/second honeymoon in London, France, and Italy
Nine months down the road, he was offered a job, and he was back on the hamster wheel (or rat race, depending on your preference).

Forget the funny stories and the anecdotes. If there's one thing to be learned from this book, it is this. I quote:

"I have a confession - looking after four young children isn't always as rewarding as performing well in a business meeting. It is sometimes fantastic to be able to leave the domestic chores behind and go on a business trip. I do get a large part o f my identity from my role at work. I find it enormously satisfying and motivating to be part of a group of people that is engaged in common endeavor towards a shared goal..... So am I recommending all men to just give up trying to lead more balanced lives? No, I'm not recommending anything. I haven't got any answers. I do, however, look at things in a different way now. I have stopped looking for perfection. Having spent my life so far seeing only black and white, I am now more comfortable with grey. Life is hard, and as far as I can see it will be hard. The vast majority of us will always have to struggle - whatever lifestyle choices we make. Admitting this to myself was liberating in its own right. I then started to put my focus on trying to enjoy the struggle rather than attempting to create a mythical stress-free nirvana. I've started to praise myself for the small victories rather than beat myself up for the bigger failure of not having a perfect life."

No comments:

Post a Comment