Saturday, December 4, 2010

Froyo Upgrade

Froyo has been out for a few weeks now. Given that my phone is not really tied to any carrier, there's no real need for me to wait for the official release. There's really not much that I need on 2.2, but it's just a matter of time, so might as well upgrade now.

First thing you need is to root your Android device, so you can make a backup. I installed z4root via the downloaded apk. Didn't work for me. The app ran, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Next one I tried is the One-Click-Root desktop software. Too lazy to connect the SGS to the laptop, so I simply renamed the root.zip file to update.zip, and installed it via 2e recovery. (To go into recovery mode, switch off your device, then do the 3-finger salute: VolUp-Home-Power.) That is how I got root. Next, I installed busybox from the Market and adb on the PC. Turned on USB debug, then connected the SGS to the PC. Tried doing a backup of the /efs partition, but adb kept complaining that filesystem is RO, even though I'm already root. Didn't bother doing a backup anymore.

Next step is to install the Clockwork Mod Recovery (again as update.zip) via 2e recovery. Select "apply sdcard:update.zip". Once installed, power off the phone, then boot into Clockwork Mod via 2e recovery. Select "install zip from sdcard", then flash the k9_cwm kernel, then flash the JPO ROM. After the update is completed, you'll be sent back to Clockworkmod recovery. Restart the phone, and flash any add-on packages that you want installed. In my case, I also cleared all the caches, wiped all data, and did a factory reset. Worked fine for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment