Thursday, July 4, 2013

Rooting the Bauhn AMID-971R

A quick search on the XDA Developers forums tells me this is actually possible.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1742136

The "android emulator" rooting method is for the Sony Xperia, but it also works for the Bauhn. According to the actual post, you simply download DooMLoRD's rooting toolkit, connect your device to the PC, and run the batch file. I did just that - the daemon ran fine, but can't seem to detect the tablet. Wait, maybe I don't have the right USB/ADB drivers. So I download DooMLoRD's Flashtool-drivers.exe, which comes with a bunch of drivers for Sony Xperia devices. Nah, still not detected.

I begin to suspect that maybe it's Windows 7 that is messing things up. Fired up my old XP laptop and connected the tablet. Windows detected an Android device and began searching for drivers online. Came back with drivers for "Acer ADB". Ah, whatever. Ran the rooting tool again, and surprisingly the device was detected, and the toolkit did it's magic.

Using Root App Delete, I uninstalled Facebook and replaced it with Flipster. Also uninstalled the old stock YouTube app and installed the latest one from Google Play. Bad move. Won't even start up. Trawled the web for YouTube APKs until I found one that worked. Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment