Monday, August 19, 2013

Cracking WEP

NOTE: This tutorial is only for research/educational/proof-of-concept purpose only. Do not go around cracking your neighbour's WiFi, okay?

Ever since I installed WiFi in my home, I've always used WEP as that's the default option. Lately, I've noticed that my broadband quota is always being used up. Maybe someone has hacked my password, and sharing my bandwidth. That's when I thought of checking how easy it is to crack WEP.

First, download the latest Beini ISO. AFAIK, it's not being developed anymore, but it should be more than enough to crack WEP. If you want bleeding edge, you should try Xiaopan or BackTrack. Second, download UNetbootin. Format your USB stick to FAT32. Use UNetbootin to install the ISO and make the stick bootable.

Once Beini has booted up, go to /bin/feedingbottle and run it. Choose your WiFi card and start scanning. Select an SSID with at least one client on it. The more clients, the better. Use the default attack parameters of "ARP Replay Attack" at 600pps. You have the option of setting "Fake Auth" on or off (default). Click Start, and the tool starts collecting IVs. Now it's just a matter of time. Once it has collected enough IVs, the tool will stop and present the cracked WEP key.

My one took only a few minutes to crack, so I've since switched over to WPA2-PSK. For that, you'll need minidwep-gtk or Reaver.

No comments:

Post a Comment