Sunday, August 15, 2010

Dropbox vs. SugarSync

Cloud storage has been around for a while, but it's only now that I've personally seen a need. Before, I used to make do with using USB sticks to move files from PC to PC. Or I would use Gmail as my file storage - send an email to yourself with the attachment you need, and access it from any Internet-enabled PC. These tricks work, but sometimes you wish there's something better.

That's where Dropbox (and SugarSync) comes in. The basic plan comes with 2BG free. If you need more, just upgrade to their paid plans. SugarSync has the cheapest plans, but I don't intend to pay for the service anyway. For every successful referral, you (and your friend) gets an extra 250MB - up to a max of 8GB. With Dropbox, you get a designated folder which is synced to the cloud. SugarSync doesn't have this limitation. That said, Dropbox supports more platforms, not that I user Linux. Dropbox is also simpler to use - no desktop client to mess around with. I was told Dropbox uses less memory.

So far, I've uploaded a bunch of portable apps and my data files to Dropbox. Now, regardless whether I'm using my main T61 or my secondary X31, I have all my contacts, passwords, appointments, notes, to-do lists, etc. Dump in some HMTL files, and I'm using Dropbox to host my Radioblog, my personal Twiddly and mGSD wikis, and my photo gallery.

Interested? Sign up here. Remember, if you use my referral link, we both get an extra 250MB.

No comments:

Post a Comment