Thursday, March 22, 2012

Broken P606M Plug

Phone line started acting up a few weeks ago. Phone would ring for a few seconds, then die out. Turns out the line was so scratchy, the phone was answering calls on its own. Whatever, all I need was the ADSL Internet, so I was hoping the phone service will fix itself. A few days later, the ADSL service started having intermittent dropouts. Time to report in the problem.

My DSL provider came back saying that the linesman made a site visit and has fixed the issue. Well, my lines still dead, and no Internet. With no further action expected, I opened the MDF to take a look myself. True enough, the Telstra guy left a note identifying which copper pair is mine, and indicated that service is working up to this point. I took my handset and rigged it up to the terminals. Yehey, it really works. So the issue is in-house.

Found the culprit to the be the 600 connector-to-RJ11 converter. One of the pins is rusted and bent and not making contact. Used a pocket knife to clean away the rust, and managed to break the pin. Drove to Mitre10 first thing in the morning to buy a P606M module plug. I'm back!

No comments:

Post a Comment