Friday, April 27, 2012

Precise Pangolin Install

Precise Pangolin came out this week, so it's time to try it out. I have a spare ThinkPad T41 running Windows XP, so I decided to dual-boot it with Kubuntu. I've looked at Lubuntu, Xubuntu, and Linux Mint, but thought Kubuntu to be more appropriate for my needs.

Booted up the Kubuntu installer CD-ROM and immediately got an error message - "This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU: pae. Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU." Turns out that starting with 12.04 LTS, the default kernel requires the CPU to support pae. My options now are:
  • install a previous release, then upgrade from there or
  • use the Minimal CD. Once the base system is installed, then do "sudo tasksel" to install the Kubuntu Desktop.

No comments:

Post a Comment