Monday, February 11, 2013

Rooting the HTC Velocity 4G

Hacking the HTC is not easy as it sounds. With the Samsung, you simply root it, install a recovery, and flash away. With the HTC, you need to first unlock the bootloader before you can do anything. You can then root it. Furthermore, you can even S-Off it. Why you'd want to do that, I don't know.

First things first. Install the drivers so your PC can talk to the phone. I had the drivers in INF and CAB format, but they're not installing properly. To get around this, I downloaded the AIO Toolkit, and used the bundled driver installer. Don't get fooled by the AIO toolkit though. It may seem like it's all-knowing, and can do everything for you, but basically, it's just a collection of internet links and batch files of adb commands. Some things you still have to do by yourself.

To unlock the bootloader, you need to register an account at HTCDev.com, upload your unique device code, and the website will generate an unlock code for you, which you feed back into the device. After this, it's fairly easy to flash a new recovery. With the recovery, you can then flash a rooting zip.

At this point, I should've just flashed the kernel and the custom ROM, and be done with it. Being the tinkerer that I am, I decided to S-Off the device. For that, you'll need a microSD card and another tool called the S-Off AIO. In the middle of the procedure, the terminal starting saying "Do the wire-trick now." I go, what wire-trick?! After a few Google searches, I found out that I'm supposed to open the battery cover, unscrew a small panel, and short two points - the second point from the right and the GND on the microSD card housing. I deemed this to be too much trouble, so I aborted with a Ctrl-C. Big mistake. Now I'm stuck with a Juopunutbear bootloop every time I restart. I run the ControlBear software again, and fortunately, I regain access to the phone. Looks like I have to go through with the S-Off operation.

The screw of the panel was so small, I almost strip off the thread with my screwdrivers. Good thing I found a really small one from my eyewear maintenance kit. I do the wire trick. I get an "S-OFF Failed Errorcode: 66732337" message. More Googling. Turns out I have to touch the two points twice within one second. This time, I get a "JuopunutBear S-OFF success" message. Whew! Even the fastboot screen (Power + VolDown) confirms security is off. I reboot, and I still end up on the Juopunutbear screen. The forums recommend restoring back to stock, and doing everything from scratch again. Not good. With nothing to lose, except a brand new $200 LTE smartphone, I flash a custom kernel - KozmiKKernel Beta 13. The phone went past the Juopunutbear screen, but got stuck at the wallpaper. Desparate, I decided to push on - flashing Wajee's De-Sensed ROM v1.6. This time, the phone booted all the way to the launcher. Good morning.

More info here:

HTC Vivid General Knowledge Thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1425013

[SUPERGUIDE] ICS-Root-Flash-Stock
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1416836

HTC Vivid / Velocity / Raider [ROM's/Kernel's/Recovery's/Guide's]
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1486024

No comments:

Post a Comment