Friday, February 15, 2013

Unofficial Holics v1.3

So I've been using Wajee's ROM for a couple of days. It's not too bad - lean and mean and runs fast. My only complaint is that it doesn't support LTE. I used the *#*#4636#*#* special code to access the engineering menu. LTE is NOT one of the radio options. And without LTE, it defeats the whole purpose of upgrading to the HTC Velocity 4G. MMS doesn't work, too. I've tried lots and lots of APN settings and combinations. MMS just doesn't work.

The next-best ROM on xda-developers is bananacakes' Holics v1.3. Like most other ROMs, the dev has moved on, and the last update was from August last year. It's a full-featured full-Sense (v3.6) ROM that clocks in at 500+MB. The posts confirm that LTE is working. Better still, one of the devs (ess.boyer) picked up where the dev left off and released his own unofficial build with some special features:
  • over 110MB of bloat removed
  • thermald disabled to improve battery life
  • uses Holics kernel 0730 (this oder kernel is supposedly more stable)
  • Aroma installer for customized installation.
So I flashed this unofficial Holics ROM, and I'm liking what I saw. Being a full-Sense ROM, it comes with a lot of bells and whistles. LTE definitely works fine. Aside from a full install, the Aroma script also allows customized install (where you pick and choose which components you want) and no-Sense install. The only things I liked about Sense are the weather, clock and music apps, so I decided to use the customized install. When it's time to choose the timezone, setup FC's and the launcher never comes up. Tried the no-Sense install. Same thing. Looks like I'm going to be stuck with a full-Sense ROM with all its associated bloat.

No comments:

Post a Comment