Saturday, February 16, 2013

Official Holics 1.3

If I'm going to be stuck with a full-Sense ROM, might as well use Titanium Backup or Root Uninstaller to freeze/backup/remove the apps I don't need. After freezing some non-essential apps using Root Uninstaller, I started getting some pop-up error messages saying "the process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly". First time I've seen this, but doesn't really mean that RU was the culprit.

That said, everything still works. It's just a bit annoying to be acknowledging the error message every few minutes. I'm pretty sure I haven't frozen anything important though. By now, I'm a bit tired of playing around with different ROMs and different settings, so I decided to flash the official Holics v1.3. I reckon ess.boyer must've left out something important when he created Holics v1.3.1. Which might explain why only a full-Sense option works, and not customized-Sense or no-Sense.

With the official Holics v.1.3, I first tried the custom-Sense install. Pleasantly surprised that it works fine. Next to go in is the Holics kernel 0730, which is supposedly more stable and more battery-efficient. I've also underclocked the CPU from the default 1.5GHz to 1.0GHz, even though it can run reliably at 1.7GHz. Every little thing helps because the battery life on this phone is atrocious. Can't get through the day without topping up. And that's just for normal calls/SMS, a little browsing, and ebook-reading. At least LTE and MMS works fine now.

No comments:

Post a Comment