Thursday, March 14, 2013

Goodbye, Google Reader

Very, very surprised to find out that Google is killing off Reader after July 1, 2013 in another round of spring-cleaning. I mean, out of Google's many offering, Reader is the one I use the most. Even more than Gmail and Search. And that's saying something. It's the only way I go through my hourly fix of tech news, product reviews, blog posts, and online bargains. Without Google Reader, I'll probably have to spend literally hours visiting each and every website on my subscription list. Or not.

And it's not just me, I guess. I started looking for alternative RSS readers. Don't even mention Flipboard or Google Currents. I want a real down-to-earth RSS reader. The Old Reader, Feedly, and NewsBlur are supposedly good contenders for the throne, but they're getting hammered bad at the moment. "Declining usage"? Right.

I've checked my stats just now: "Since April 2, 2006 you have read a total of 203,721 items." I'm gonna miss you, Google Reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment