Sunday, August 24, 2014

Upgrading the ZTE V9... Again

The Optus MyTab a.k.a. ZTE V9 is currently on official CM7.2, but that hasn't been updated in years (March 1, 2013).

I did some searching and the latest unofficial CM ROM is CM11 Kitkat.
http://www.modaco.com/topic/367844-devrom-cyanogenmod-110-android-442-for-zte-v9/

I was so excited, I immediately installed it. Didn't even do a backup. Wipe data, factory reset, wipe cache, format /system, wipe dalvik cache, flash ROM. What do you know? Installation aborted due to "some symlinks failed".

My suspicion is that the /system partition is too small. I took a second look, and the CM11 thread says it needs more than 185MB for /system. I remember when I installed CM7.2 over the stock Android 2.2 ROM, I had to do some repartitioning. Got a bigger /data, but /system was reduced. So apparently, I currently have a 136MB /system partition, instead of the default 220MB.
http://www.modaco.com/topic/342556-repartition-nand-for-optimal-cm7-setup-2011-08-15/

Instead of repartitioning again, which is quite messy, I've decided to install some old versions of CM until it fits into the /system partition. Started from CM10.2 to CM10.1 to CM10. With CM10, I didn't get any installation errors anymore, and the tablet booted up just fine. Downside is that the /system is now full. Can't even install gapps. So I guess I have to sideload all my apps. Some apps like MX Player doesn't work become of some missing libraries that probably come with gapps. TuneIn runs, but would FC once in a while. My home button also now doesn't work for some reason.

I'm really itching to repartition and install KitKat. Maybe I'll save that for a rainy day.
http://www.modaco.com/topic/342556-repartition-nand-for-optimal-cm7-setup-2011-08-15/#entry1744456

No comments:

Post a Comment