Saturday, September 27, 2014

Sugar on a Stick on a VM

Been playing with VMware lately, so I thought I'd try running Sugar on a Stick on a virtual machine. I've installed SoaS on a hard disk before, so this is something new. No new SoaS release since then (still the 10th iteration using Fedora 20), but the anaconda installation is simpler, since I have the whole "hard disk" to myself.

Sugar Labs has some documentation on this topic, but VirtualBox is the hypervisor of choice. Using VMware is not much different. Basically, you create a new VM, and boot using the SoaS live ISO image. In my case, I gave it 1GB of memory and 8GB of diskspace. Once you're in the Sugar environment, run Terminal, switch to root user, and type liveinst. HDD installation starts once you've decided on the partitioning. To complete the installation, you need to set the root password and optionally create a normal user. I strongly suggest you complete the second part because Fedora won't allow you to log in as root. Learned this the hard way.

Neat thing with VMware is that you can actually suspend your session, and continue where you left off the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment