Thursday, February 17, 2005

Late Train and Late Bus

It's funny how the train fare works. If you buy your tickets before 9am, it costs $6. After 9am, it's $3.60. (They say time is money. Now we know how much a second costs.) That's a 40% discount, for the bargain hunters among you. Normally I don't give much thought to this because I have a ride-all-you-can weekly pass. The pass expired yesterday, so now I have a dilemma. Should I take the train before or after 9am? It's not like we're using time cards in the office, and only a few people will notice if I arrive at 10am. Model employee that I am, I opted for the former.

I take the 8:30am train to the city, then bus to the office. When I say 8:30am train, I mean it's supposed to arrive at 8:30am, but that's not how it goes. If I'm in a rush, the train usually arrives late. Same goes for my bus ride to the office. A bus is supposed to come every 10 minutes. Well, I've been reading this book for more than 30 minutes already, but still no bus. If I cross Darling Harbour via the Pyrmont Bridge by foot, I would've reached the office in 20 minutes. But that's not the point. If the bus timetable says every 10 minutes, I expect a bus every 10 minutes.

By the time the bus came and delivered me to the office in 15 minutes, it's 10am already. So I'm thinking, if I have any kind ESP, I would've woke up late, paid only $3.6 for the train fare, saved the bus fare by talking a leisurely walk to the office, and still end up in the same place. Bah!

No comments:

Post a Comment