Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Movie 2006.05.31 - The Horse Whisperer

Powerful, natural acting from Kristin Scott Thomas. Now, that's some wife material. And is that Scarlett Johansson as the daughter? My, who would've thought... Robert Redford plays this cowboy rancher with a gift for healing horses. Robert Redford with his cowboy gear and golden messed-up hair and straight white teeth, no wonder Scott Thomas' character fell for him. Still, the whole setup doesn't feel as she's already (happily) married. That never stopped anyone before, did it?

Kristin Scott Thomas' character Annie is a high-powered executive in a fashion magazine. In the office and sometimes at home, she's the one calling the shots. She didn't get to where she is by being meek and humble. Her daughter Grace never liked her bossy, know-it-all ways, so there's a bit of tension in the house. When Grace got into a really bad accident with her horse Pilgrim and lost her leg, all the frustrations and anger and hurt were exposed. Now Annie heard about this horse whisperer in Montana who does wonders with problem horses, so she goes on a cross-country trip with Grace and Pilgrim. Turns out Tom does wonders for yummy mummies, too. In time, he was able to heal the horse and win her heart.

Already missing his family, the father (Sam Niell) came down for a visit. About time, too. Robert sensed what was going on, but he kept quiet. Such was his love for his wife. With the horse fully healed, it's time to go back. Robert's traveling with Grace, while Annie is driving a day later with the horse. Robert suggested she "Take her time." Annie feigns innocence, then my favourite part of the movie:

"I'll tell you something, Annie -- I stood there looking at what was happening to that horse... And, I swear, it felt like the same thing was happening to me. And I have two choices. I can either fight the way things are, or accept them. See, I always knew I loved you more. Didn't bother me. I always felt lucky... a little amazed... that such a vibrant, beautiful woman would want to be with a man like me... And I guess I thought as long as I did everything right -- if I was the best husband I could be, the best father... even being a good lawyer only mattered to me because of what it meant for us... if I could do all that, it wouldn't make any difference if we loved each other the same or not... I wasn't asking for more. I told myself I didn't need more. But you don't know how you feel about me. You don't know... if you want a life with me anymore... And I don't want you to come homeuntil you do know... one way or the other."

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I saw the Horse Whisperer on TV. But i missed the ending. What happened after they dance and he disappears? Please help me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert knows Annie is in love with Tom, so he leaves her behind so she can decide what she really wants. She spends some happy days with her Horse Whisperer. One day, she finds that Tom has packed all her belongings. They love each other, but it's not right, and they know it.

    Annie goes back to Robert (and Grace), and together they resolve to work things out.

    ReplyDelete