Saturday, July 1, 2006

Breakfast in Bangsar

Woke up to the call of my friend (MS) asking if I want to have breakfast together. MS bought a new Toyota Vios recently, and drove it to the hotel to pick me up. MS is driving really slow - not sure if it's because of the new car, or new to right-hand driving. We did get to Bangsar safe and sound though.

After a quick breakfast together with the mom, we walked around and bought some fruits and dimsum from the nearby stalls. Then off, to Mid Valley Megamall. They wanted a full-body massage, but I opted to exercise my legs instead and go window-shopping. Met up again later for lunch, then back to the hotel for some rest.

Late afternoon, I took the train to Pasar Seni to visit some old haunts. First stop is the Art Deco Central Market. Lots of local hanging around the place as usual. The inside of Central Market is dark and dingy, but this is probably the best (most convenient) place for a tourist to buy souvenirs, crafts, local foods, and other trinkets. Behind Central Market is Majid Jamek, located right where the rivers Sungei Klang and Sungei Gombak meet. The mosque was built in 1907, and served as the main mosque of Kuala Lumpur until 1965 when the National Mosque was built. Masjid Jamek still stands as the oldest mosque in KL. It's quite late already so I didn't go in the mosque anymore. Normally, tourists are allowed to enter as long as you wear the proper attire (no shorts, no shoes), and it's not prayer time.

Following the path of the elevated train, make a right and you'll end up at the Dataran Merdeka (Freedom Square). On your right is a weird-looking water fountain. On your left is the Panggung Bandaraya (a.k.a the Old City Hall). Right beside it is the Old High Court, which houses the Sessions and Magistrates Court. Once you cross the Gombak River, you'll see the majestic Sultan Abdul Samad Building with the clock tower topped with a copper dome. Across it is the Dataran Merdeka (Freedom Square) with the world's tallest flagpole at 100 meters.

Facing the Freedom Square, the green Padang (The Field) is just in front of you. Situated at the right of the Padang is the Cathedral of St. Mary the Virgin. Going counter-clockwise, you'll see the Royal Selangor Club. The social and cricket club was founded in 1884 to accommodate the growing community of KL expats. The mock-Tudor building has been built and rebuilt over the years, and the one we see now is completed in 1979. To the left of the Padang is the National History Museum, which used to be the Chartered Bank of India, Australia, and China. Somewhere in one side of the Padang, you can also find the Merdeka Square Fountain.

Going back to the Sultan Abdul Samad Building, the building next to it is the Court of Appeals (formerly the Old Post Office). Next to it (across the street) is the Textile Museum (formerly the Office of the Federated Malay States Railway). This whole row of Moorish buildings were decked out in Christmas light when I was there. It was supposed to be the launching night of the KL Festival 2006, but interestingly there was nobody around. Either the venue has changed or I got here late.

Further down the street is the Masjid Negara (National Mosque) with its 18-pointed star blue-green roof and 73-metre high minaret. Fully-illuminated at night, you won't miss it. As it is quite late already, I can only take pictures from the outside. Further down the road is the KTM Headquarters. This Moorish building looks very impressive in the morning, but at night, it's even better with multi-coloured light shining out of its windows. Definitely worth a visit.

Across it is the Old Railway Station. It was completed in 1911 in the Mughal style of India and served as major railway hub until KL Sentral came along (less than a kilometer away). Nowadays, only the KTM trains pass by this station. The whole place looks a bit worn down and deserted, if you ask me. So unsecured was the place that I was able to jump a low barricade and climb up one of the watch towers. It was a dark, dank spiral stairway with railings too dirty and rusty for me to touch. I didn't even want to think how dirty I'll get if I slip and fall. The top of the watchtower is definitely the place for photographers and snipers, though. I managed to only get one good shot of the side of the railway station when I noticed a security guard coming my way. He must've seen my AF assist light from my S2 IS, which is not of the IR type, and came to investigate. I immediately dunk and slunk down the stairs, all the while thinking of a good excuse why I would be on top of a deserted watchtower in the middle of the night. What would Bond say? Um, where is the nearest washroom? Good thing the security guard didn't come around. I waited a few more seconds to make sure the coast is clear, then made my escape to the train station, and back to the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment