Saturday, September 5, 2009

Movie 2009.09.05 - Red Cliff I and II

The missus must've liked these movies 'coz she watched them all from start to finish and even asked a few questions. As a purist, I still like the book better, but I'll let the inconsistencies pass. The special effects and location shots are top-notch, but the actors need some improvement. They seem to know that these movies are going to be blockbusters, so I felt they were a bit complacent. The guy playing Cao Cao is really good. Looks a bit like Jet Li. Tony Leung as always is cool as a cucumber. I think Takeshi is wrongly cast. He does not have the maturity to play Gong Ming. Every time I see him, I think "playboy". As for Sun Quan, we need someone who can speak Mandarin properly. We've got Taiwanese supermodel Lin Chiling playing Xiao Ciao, but her accent and voice needs improvement. My wife says nobody speaks like that (at least, not in ancient China). No wonder Cao Cao fell in love with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment