Sunday, June 22, 2008

Movie 2008.06.22 - Speed Racer

Yes, it's a live-action adaptation of the popular 1960's Japanese anime series. Yes, it's written and directed by the Wachowski brothers of The Matrix fame. Yes, the brothers used a special layering technique to make the foreground and the background in focus at the same time. But for someone who has never seen or heard of Speed Racer before, the movie is just Willy Wonka on wheels.

Maybe it's to the actors' credit, but they come off as too cartoony and one-dimensional. The colors are too bright and shiny. Everything feels too "scripted". I don't feel excited when Speed is racing around the track because I know he'll win anyway. I don't feel alarmed when his car is being attacked at the Grand Prix because I know he'll come through. I couldn't care less that Taejo (Rain) is a cheat. I couldn't care less that Racer X is actually Speed's brother Rex. All I care about is the time and money we wasted watching this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment