Sunday, November 24, 2013

Bricking the iRiver X20

Bricking the iRiver X20 is fairly easy.

So lately I've starting playing with my iRiver X20 again. The iPod Classic has much bigger storage and better ease of use, but it doesn't do OGG natively. I noticed that the song selection on the X20 is a bit dated already, so I deleted some songs, and gave it a refresh. Upon disconnection from the PC, it starts to rebuild the library, and promptly hangs. At first I thought that maybe the rebuild is very CPU-intensive, which caused the screen to hang. I was hoping that it's actually doing something behind the scenes. Nope. Took out the battery, powered on, same thing. Plugging it to the PC via USB didn't help because as soon as the device powers up, it tries to build the library.

I'm guessing the culprit here is some non-conforming audio file. Either aac, or an m3u file, or a filename or tags with "bad" characters. Easiest way to recover is to wipe out the internal flash, but the owner's manual is of no help. I found one promising forum post, which recommends holding the menu button down while powering up the device. Worked for others, didn't work for me. So it's looking like this one is truly bricked. I've taken off the battery for now and waiting to see if it'll reset itself after a few days, but I'm not holding my breath.

Back to eBay for another iRiver. Bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment