Friday, March 7, 2014

CM11 on HTC Velocity 4G

Have been using ess.boyer's unofficial HolicsROM for as long as I've had the HTC Velocity 4G. I've tried other ROMs, but this one is the most stable for me. More than a year later, Gingerbread is starting to show its age. When I click on the search results, it doesn't bring up the browser anymore. Some apps like Hangouts won't even work properly.

Quick check on XDA Developers shows that there's an unofficial CM KitKat ROM available from albinoman887. Installation is fairly easy:
  1. Reboot to recovery (do not use CWM)
  2. Wipe data, cache, and Dalvik cache.
  3. Flash ROM
  4. Flash gapps
  5. Reboot
Right after reboot, the whole thing feels snappier. 4G still works, although I've noticed a couple of network disconnects, and I have to enter my SIM PIN again. sweep2wake feature doesn't work, even though I've enabled it in /system/etc/init.d/99kernel. Must be a kernel thing. Almost tempted to go back to HolicsROM for this feature. MMS definitely doesn't work. I'm using the same MMS settings that are working on the old ROM, and it doesn't work anymore. Google camera app not as good as the HTC stock one. Very low volume on calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment