Monday, March 17, 2014

M4A to MP3

For all my audio file conversion needs, I've always used the encoders and decoders from Rarewares.

My audio format of choice is still OGG, but in these days of iPods and MP3-CDs, some compromise is needed. To get my MP3s, I simply drag-and-drop the OGGs into the lamedrop window. Voila, MP3s to go.

The M4As are not as straightforward though. First, you have to download aacdecdrop from here. On my Win7 system, it complains about a missing libmmd.dll file. Get that from here. There are newer versions of the DLL on that webpage, but v9.1 is the one that worked for me. Then, you have to rename the files from M4A to MP4 for the tool to work.

Conversion did proceed, but the resulting MP3 files are garbled and high-pitched. Another option is to simply playback the M4A files on foobar2000 and pipe the audio stream to WAV, then convert it to MP3.

No comments:

Post a Comment