Friday, November 14, 2014

Lollipop on the Nexus 7

Wasn't expecting the 2012 Nexus 7 (WiFi) to get a taste of Android 5.0 Lollipop, but here we are. Factory images for the Nexus devices just went live on the Google Developers website. Instead of waiting for the OTA, might as well just flash the image myself. This, of course, means that I'll lose userdata, but no biggie.

Manual flashing instructions are the image site itself, or you can use the guides here and here. If you're lazy like me, you can use a toolkit like WugFresh's NRT (Nexus Root Toolkit). CNET has some good instructions on how to use NRT. The software updates itself, downloads dependencies for unlocking and rooting, and downloads the correct image for your device model and build. After a couple of reboots, my Nexus 7 is now running LRX21P.

It might just be me, but everything seems a bit sluggish. Updating the Google apps takes 5-10 minutes each. I'll give it a few days to adjust, and see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment